Security Doors – Where to Start?
Security doors are undoubtably one of the most effective means of deterring would-be intruders from trying to break into your home or business. But with so many options available on the market, selecting the best option for your individual needs can be a difficult decision. Here are some important factors you should consider...
Australia has the 7th highest rate of burglaries in the world...
There are several laws and regulations when it comes to manufacturing security doors and screens in Australia.
First and foremost, a security door must pass set of strenuous tests in order to legally call it a “security screen door”. Those doors that fail any of these tests are instead referred to as “barrier doors” or “safety doors”. There are 6 Australian Standards (tests) that each door must undergo which are designed to ensure that the door will combat the typical force of an intruder.
This is a great starting point when selecting the ideal security door for your home or business. Make sure that the door you select meets, if not exceeds all 6 tests, otherwise you may be compromising the safety of your family and possessions.
Styles & Types of Security Doors
These days, security doors comes in a plethora of different styles and types. They all offer different levels of privacy, air flow, visibility and security, not to mention coming in a huge range of different colours.
Let’s start with the mesh. 316 marine grade stainless steel is by far your best option, particularly if your home or business is within 5km of the ocean. This will provide the best protection when it comes to corrosion, or even staining and pitting caused from moisture.
Most frames within Australia are now manufactured using aluminium. This options provides a strong but light weight option which can be further strengthened by adding a grille.
Try to also select a model that has a layer of insulation between the frame and mesh, as stainless steel does not like to be in contact with aluminium.
Lastly, you’ll want to select a style and colour to match your property. Colonial or Federation style security doors are a great option for traditional style properties. In terms of colours, you’ll have 100’s of options to choose from including timber-look finishes which look great on timber style homes.
Security Door Manufacturers
Within Australia, there are 3 main manufacturers of high quality security doors. After significant research, I found the Inivisi-Gard range of screens and doors to be the most impressive for several reasons –
- Invisi-Gard frames are constructed from 316 marine grade stainless steel. Some of the other major brands use 304 structural grade high tensile mesh, which is more susceptible to corrosion from moisture.
- They have the thickest level of insulation between the frame and screen, which reduces the likelihood of corrosion from the two substances rubbing together.
- Invisi-Gard doors come with Lockwood or Astral locks, which are both industry leaders.
- They are backed by an impressive 15 year warranty on the frame and mesh.
- All of their doors significantly surpass all of the Australian Standards.
- The price is very reasonable considering the quality and durability of the doors and screens.
Security Door Installers
Once you have selected the ideal security door for your requirements, you’ll need to select an installer. Each of the major security door manufacturers within Australia can have 100’s of installers across the country, so there’s a good chance that there at least 2 or 3 that service your particular area.
Firstly, make sure that they are an authorised dealer for that manufacturer. This will reduce your risk of receiving dodgy workmanship. You’ll also want to make sure they –
- Offer an obligation-free on-site measure and quote.
- Are fully cleared by the police.
- Hold at least 1 current security agents licence, security installer licence and security consultants licence.
- Have an excellent online reputation – Check their Facebook & Google profiles.
- Offer interest free finance (if required).
KNA Security are Perth’s most reputable installer of high quality Invisi-Gard security doors and screens. With over 30 years of industry experience, they have installed 100’s of doors and screens throughout the northern suburbs of Perth.
(Images & video courtesy of KNA Security)